Do you think bananas are boring. Think again ! They’re actually one of the best of all round foods and packed full of goodness. If you love them it’s a bonus because they’re healthy!
Here are five top reasons why you need to include in your diet:
(1) Bananas are packed full nutrients including potassium, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 and Fibre.
(2) They boost your energy levels-eating just 2 will give you enough energy to out for for 90 minutes.
(3) Bananas help to overcome depression due to high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into Serotonin which makes us feel happy.
(4) As they are high in potassium and low in salt, bananas are created with being able to lower blood pressure and Proctect against heart attacks and strokes.
(5) The high levels of potassium and magnesium makes bananas great at regulating blood pressure. Still not convinced why not try this banana cake and tell me what you think!
3 medium-sized ripe bananas
1 tsp lemon juice
150 g/5 oz soft brown sugar
75 g/3 oz no-dairy margarine
250 g/9 oz self-raising flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 portions egg-replacer
50 g/2 oz walnuts, chopped (optional)
1 tsp each ground cinnamon and castor
Sugar, to decorate
Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5 10 minutes before baking. Lightly oil and line the base of an 18 cm/7 inch deep round cake tin with greaseproof baking paper.
Mash 2 of the bananas in a small bowl, sprinkle with the lemon juice and a heaped tablespoon of the sugar. Mix together lightly and reserve.
Gently heat the remaining sugar and margarine in a small saucepan until the margarine has just melted.
Pour into a small bowl, then allow to cool slightly. Sift the flour and cinnamon into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
Beat the egg- replacer into the cooled sugar mixture, pour into the well of flour, and mix throughly.
Gently stir in the mashed bananas mixture. Pour half of the mixture into the prepared tin. Thinly slice the remaining bananas and arrange over the cake mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes, or until well risen and golden brown. Allow to cool in the tin, turn out and sprinkle with the ground cinnamon and castor sugar. Serve hot or cold with a jug of chilled vegan cream alternative for pouring, or even toasted with vegan butter.