For the Apple
1 recipe pastry for a 23cm pie
125g unsalted butter
3 tablespoons plain flour
4 tablespoons water
100g caster sugar
100g dark brown soft sugar
8 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and sliced
- Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas mark 7. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, caster sugar and brown sugar, and bring to the boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Roll out the pastry to line the bottom of a 23cm (9 in) pie dish. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with strips of pastry to form a lattice design. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the pastry. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Bake the apple pie 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Continue baking the pie for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft. Serve apple pie with ice cream or custard.
Cinnamon Pastry Topping for Apple pie
- Make the dough: Whisk the flour, butte, salt, and together in a large bowl. …
- Combine the milk, water, and butter together in a heatproof bowl. …
- On a lightly floured surface using floured hands, knead the dough for 3 minutes. …
- Fill the rolls: After 10 minutes, roll the dough out in a 14×8 inch rectangle.
- Then cover the roll out dough in sugar and cinnamon, then roll one end to the other making it into a tube, using a sharp knife to slice from one end to the other making little circle like rosette and place over your uncooked apple pie, until fully covered and there is no showing of Apple. Place in oven and cook for a good 50 minutes due to the extra dough.